2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 09-06-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Touch Screen System Sucks

I can't express how disappointed I am in the 2016 DS's Touch Screen System. It is slow, doesn't always work, and basically a very poor design.

I took mine into the dealer at the 10,000 mile check up and complained about it. The main problem I was having at the time was that the speed sign reading didn't read the 75 miles an hour road signs and it occasionally locked up. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and didn't have a fix or new software from Land Rover. I recommended that they reflash the software which they didn't do.

Now the navigation seldom works (it can't read or find the simm card), voice commands don't work, the speed sign reading system forgets the speed after a few minutes, and the In Control Apps won't work. What a piece of crap.

I was looking at the Lincoln MKX before buying the DS and their Sync 3 system is a 100 times better.

I am scheduling a appointment to see what they can do this time.
post #2 of 43 Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Luckily my experience has been the opposite. I have been impressed with the touch, voice commands, and sd navigation. There was a glitch with my navigation and dead spots on the map (it reported 0 for longitude and latitude in some places... so the nav thought they did not exist) when I first got it, but it was corrected.

I also love the interface with my USB hard disk. Great for listening to music!
post #3 of 43 Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I agree that it's slow, however, it works fine for me (along w/ the Nav Sys, voice commands, etc.) I am not a fan of touchscreens anyway as I prefer the old fashion dedicated buttons for tactile feel while I'm driving.

If you want touchscreen, you should have purchased a Tesla. They practically took a 17" or something iPad and mounted into the dashboard:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-Tesla-Model-X-P90D-cockpit.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	3834  

post #4 of 43 Old 09-12-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I just want mine to work. I was scheduled for service today, but now they don't have any loaners and can't tell me when they could actually get to it once they have the car. I am waiting for a call when they will have a loaner for me.

Hopeful they will get it fixed correctly and it will work without any more problems.
post #5 of 43 Old 09-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
For the Navigation System, have you tried a Reset? This will clear all data and hopefully renew the system: General Settings > System Settings > Delete All Personal Data

(You've got nothing to lose since nothing was retained. Sorry for the pun.)
post #6 of 43 Old 09-20-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I took the car into the dealer and they replaced the Sim card. The navigation is now working but much of the other InControl features still don't work well. Over a period of a week there were two times that it couldn't read the sim card, it started working after a couple of retries. Does anyone else have issues with the Nav system?

The speed sign reading system works well below 60 MPH, but after that it works sometimes, It doesn't always display the correct speed. The InControl apps work sometimes. The text messaging has never worked for my iPhone 6s.

I call the Land Rover support line and the guy told me there is a new update coming out in about a month to fix the known text messaging problem with the iPhone. The car would have to be taken into the dealer to have it applies.

I guess I will wait for the software update and see if it fixes the problems. If it doesn't work after that, they need to replace the logic board.
post #7 of 43 Old 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have the InControl Apps but my Nav works great and so does traffic sign recognition. I have a 2016 HSE. Oh, my text readout works fine for my 6S.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Last edited by 2Fly; 09-20-2016 at 12:31 PM.
post #8 of 43 Old 09-20-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have a 2016 HSE Lux also. Glad you are not having any problems. Funny the Land Rover guy said there was issues with text messaging and the iPhone..... maybe not all.

I wish they would have refashed the system as I requested, it might have fixed it. It either that or a hardware issue. Having spent 35 years in high tech, I think its the software.
post #9 of 43 Old 09-29-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Called the Dealer again to set up an appointment and wrote a email to Land Rover to try and get this fixed. It ticks me off every time I drive the car because there is always some kind of problem.

I did a little research online, not much out their except the fact that the system is based on a quad-core processor most likely the 1.91Ghz Intel Atom E3845 and uses 64-bit Ubuntu as its operating system:

Does InControl Touch Pro run 64-bit Ubuntu on an Intel Atom E3845 and why is their app API so closed? » OVALNEWS.com ? Always fanatical; Occasionally interesting Land Rover & Range Rover News

I still think they need to reload the software and determine if its software or hardware.
post #10 of 43 Old 09-29-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
When I picked up my Disco (HSE) the sales guy was running over all the gadgets, etc. and after I synced my phone and went to the text message display he was pleased because it actually displayed the text messages. He said "you must have an Android, because it doesn't always work with iPhones". So, is not unique to you, apparently.
LRD likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page