LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Text response feature

Anyone tried this feature while driving? I like the way the car can read your incoming texts out loud. However, I was testing the quick template responses today and they didn't go through. I also tried stopping and sending a text I typed using the car's keyboard, this also didn't go through.

Anyone have any luck? Part of me wants to blame it on Sprint, since they're pretty much terrible, but could be the car too
post #2 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think I used it once and it worked. The choice of pre-conceived responses is pretty limited. Too bad you can't add some to the list. Also, trying to use the keyboard on the nav screen seems more dangerous than using your mobile device. Just another example of the debacle that is this nav system. IMO of course.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petcha View Post
Anyone tried this feature while driving? I like the way the car can read your incoming texts out loud. However, I was testing the quick template responses today and they didn't go through. I also tried stopping and sending a text I typed using the car's keyboard, this also didn't go through.

Anyone have any luck? Part of me wants to blame it on Sprint, since they're pretty much terrible, but could be the car too
I have used it and it worked fine. However, it's a bit inconvenient. I tried it when I first got the DS to see how it worked, but haven't used it since. I also am getting annoyed with the big dialog that pops up over the radio or my nav screen to announce that I have an incoming text. I keep turning the option off, but it keeps coming back on when I re-start the car. I keep my phone on a holder on the vent so I see the texts anyway. I try not to reply while I'm driving because I've come too close to a wreck way too often.

post #4 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battin4th View Post
I think I used it once and it worked. The choice of pre-conceived responses is pretty limited. Too bad you can't add some to the list. Also, trying to use the keyboard on the nav screen seems more dangerous than using your mobile device. Just another example of the debacle that is this nav system. IMO of course.
I agree that the keyboard is harder than using the phone. I tried it at a stoplight once. You can't use it while drive, anyway. It's easier to just dictate a response into my phone. Someone thought it would be a convenience, but I'm not so sure that promoting texting while drive is a good thing. And I can't recall for sure, but I think if I want the texts read aloud I have to press a button for it to do so (although maybe it's automatic and I never turned it on). I don't really want my person texts read out loud if I have others in the car (e.g., a text from my wife and her stepson is in the car).
post #5 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
How do you enable the text read?
I tried to go into the menu under messages but nothing.

Can you dictate the text via speech ?

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr2 View Post
I have used it and it worked fine. However, it's a bit inconvenient. I tried it when I first got the DS to see how it worked, but haven't used it since. I also am getting annoyed with the big dialog that pops up over the radio or my nav screen to announce that I have an incoming text. I keep turning the option off, but it keeps coming back on when I re-start the car. I keep my phone on a holder on the vent so I see the texts anyway. I try not to reply while I'm driving because I've come too close to a wreck way too often.
Did you try turning it off in you phone's settings? Not sure about Androids but on the iPhone you can disable it in the BT settings under the connection for the DS.

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!
post #7 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post

Not sure on androids...but on the iPhone you need to flip a switch. If you dont...It will not send messages regardless of what you select in the vehicle.

Settings..bluetooth...select Discovery Sport (info icon) then flip the Show Notifications switch. See pic.

You are supposed to be able to voice dictate a text but iPhones do not support the software so it wont work in the DS...it doesnt work in mt RAM truck either. Why is so hard, I dont know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	734
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1497  

Disco Disco!!
Good Good!!

Last edited by DiscoDisco; 11-21-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post

As far as I know, you cannot dictate a text to the DS. I dictate it on my Galaxy S4. I do not believe you can enable text read by default on the DS. However, if you get a text, and go to phone, and messages, there is an option to read it (but that seems like a lot of presses to get to have it read to you).
post #9 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDisco View Post
Did you try turning it off in you phone's settings? Not sure about Androids but on the iPhone you can disable it in the BT settings under the connection for the DS.
i do not want to turn it off on my phone. Androids are different from iPhones. Each SMS app has notification settings. I set mine to pop up on screen. There is a setting in the car to turn notifications on/off. I keep clicking it off. It keeps coming back on. It wasn't on by default when I got the car, though. I shouldn't have to turn off notifications on my phone just for those times I happen to get a text in the car. The option should stay off in the DS.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-21-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDisco View Post
Not sure on androids...but on the iPhone you need to flip a switch. If you dont...It will not send messages regardless of what you select in the vehicle.

Settings..bluetooth...select Discovery Sport (info icon) then flip the Show Notifications switch. See pic.

You are supposed to be able to voice dictate a text but iPhones do not support the software so it wont work in the DS...it doesnt work in mt RAM truck either. Why is so hard, I dont know?
I don't think you can dictate a text to the DS using voice-commands. I think you have to dictate it to the phone, regardless of type. As I wrote in another response, I don't want notifications off on my phone, just in the DS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page