LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-26-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Low battery indicator

Hi all,

Few weeks ago my battery got all drained out of power (for no obvious reason), that i had to hotwire it, and then tow it to the garage (some systems, like break and transmission did not perform normally)...
They did all the service recalls that were needed (i own the for for 6 months), including the battery control module update (which they claimed is to be blamed)... They also checked the battery and it checked out "OK" in the battery gizmo, giving 780 something of power (Amps?).
But since it came back it keeps giving me the "Low battery Plesa start engine" warning every morning. There is no real problem, other then the warning and the fact that the start-stop system would not engage (which is understandable).
I do drive most days for 15 minutes to comute to work, and longer drives at weekedns (after a long drive the start-stop system does engage properly).
The garage said it is not a problem, and the cause is the short travel time, which doesn allow the battery to fill up.
But i have concern that it will go completely drainedout again (which was somewhat troumatic for a 6 mothns old and very expensive car), because there might me some kind of power "leak" during shutdown to some roug subsystem.
Has anyone experianced the same?
Any long term solution?
post #2 of 9 Old 05-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
To me there is a problem...
I never had that warning on mine and I drive it 2times a day for 15 minutes like you. But often my car stays in the driveway for the whole weekend and sometimes here temperature reach minus 30 degrees in the morning (in winter ). Never had even an hesitation on start up, i own my DS since feb of 2016.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Completely agree - This is NOT normal - It seems like there is a problem - it doesn't matter if you drive 10 times a day for only 10 minutes - This should not happen - I suggest to be aggressive with the dealer - drop off the car, get a loaner and do not take it back until this resolved.
(I have my DS since June 2016 and I do not have any such issue)

post #4 of 9 Old 05-27-2017, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I drive way to many short trips ( as my fuel economy suffers) and have no problem, but a completely dead battery may take a while to fully charge with short trips. I would put a small battery charger on the car over night and if the problem is still there the battery may have failed. They never like to go completely flat.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
An update:
Last weekend we drove about 3 hours, and still at the end of the trip it gave the Low battery warning
In the morning when we loaded up the car to go back home, the tailgate did not close!
It was as if the tailgate latch had stayed in "locked' position and when i closed the tailgate, it slamed to the locker iron-to-iron, with very nasty noise...
So, im on my way to the garage...
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2017, 02:04 AM

After 3 hours even a Land Rover should charge up the battery!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Solved!
(I hope)
The central garage fixed the issue, the Low battery indicator no longer appears...
They said they had the software "reset" a few times, not sure what they meant, probably the battery "sensor" part.
After a few days of driving, and parking, the probelm did not apear again (even with my daily short trips).
Car now drives like a dream, love it again.
till next time
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Almost all my driving in winter is short trips of less than 6 KM's and never have a problem. Glad the hic - up is gone .
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2017, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I got the message a couple of weeks ago- after the car was not driven over a weekend

At this point no idea what the cause is- The car has been checked for voltage drop, they tried to blame the dash cam, but that is designed to turn off at 12.3V which is about 80% full on a standard car battery....Haven't seen the issue since, but my stop/start doesn't work either....

I have suspected that something is not right with the battery, sensors or charging system since I bought the car as the stop/start seldom works......Its odd that I have the identical system in a volvo s60 and without fail, the stop start works in all weather conditions and even if the car has not been driven for days...!

problem is I have to fight with the service centre to prove there is an issue- kinda over it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page