HSE vs HSE Lux - 2016 what are the differences ? - Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question HSE vs HSE Lux - 2016 what are the differences ?

Newcomer to the board, old timer from Bimmerfest.

Questions:
1. Why do I not see any HSE Lux 2016 MY Discovery Sports on the dealer lots ?
I saw a 2015 Lux version in the showroom but could not tell any difference between it and a moderately loaded 2016 HSE.

2. What are the nice upgrades between the HSE to HSE Lux ?

3. Is it worth the difference in cost to upgrade?

4. How long will it be to wait for an HSE Lux ?

thanks!
post #2 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Newcomer to the board, old timer from Bimmerfest.

Questions:
I saw a 2015 Lux version in the showroom but could not tell any difference between it and a moderately loaded 2016 HSE.

thanks!
Welcome! Are you in the US? If you are, I will be glad to pitch in my two cents.

If you are in other markets, then the specs are different than the US models and my input may be irrelevant.

Last edited by olezay; 10-21-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezay View Post
Welcome! Are you in the US? If you are, I will be glad to pitch in my two cents.

If you are in other markets, then the specs are different than the US models and my input may be irrelevant.
Yes in the USA.
Southern California to be exact.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 05:59 PM

4sallypat,

Here you go:

In Bay Area, there are already many MY2016 DS in dealers' lots: Find a Land Rover/Range Rover Retailer | Land Rover USA
From the outside, 2016 and 2015 are exactly the same. The only differences are that for 2016, all SE/HSE/HSE Lux models have InControl Protect and Remote standard, that's why the base price for all 3 models has increased by about 400. Lux also has InControl Apps standard. Other than that, the only other change is that for 2016 HSE, the standard wheel becomes 18-inch (2015 has 19-inch).

Lux has these noticeable additions:
Land Rover Audio System - 11 Speakers
Windsor leather seats
Configurable Mood Lighting
Front and Rear Premium Carpet Mats
SiriusXM® Satellite Radio & HD Radio
Navigation System (SD Card)10
19-inch wheels
InControl Apps
There are other small stuff...

Other than these, most optional packages are available for both. You can find out more by downloading the PDF version of the brochure.

For me, I don't need most of these additions, so the extra cost is not worth it. You need to make the decision yourself.

The wait time for Lux should be similar to HSE. I originally ordered a 2016 HSE in early July which was scheduled to be delivered sometimes in late November/early December, but I happened to find one 2015 in one of the local dealers and I could not wait any longer, so I bit the bullet and took that stocked DS instead even though dealers always add many useless options on the stocked units. So I would say the wait time is pretty long.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, for those dealers' MY2016/2015 in-stock units, most of them are 5-seat configuration. It is extremely hard to get a 5+2 7-seat unit. People try to grab them as soon as they come in. If you go to the link I sent you earlier, you can play with each dealer's inventory, copy the VIN, enter the VIN into VIN decoder is the best online tool to check vin number | VinDecoderz.com, and you will see probably less than 10% is 7-seat.

When I saw that 7-seat HSE came in the first week, I told my dealer I wanted it.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hope this helps.
Awesome olezay!

Yes, that helped tremendously!

Now I get a better picture of the 2015 vs 2016 as well as the HSE & Lux differences.

Thank you because my head was spinning trying to look at both 2015 and 2016 Discovery Sports in both trim levels (2x2 options)...

Coming from BMW, I have a better handle on the Land Rover series.

I am looking at 2 cars right now -

A 2015 fairly well loaded HSE Lux with 20 wheels:
New 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport For Sale | Redondo Beach CA

And then I am also looking at a 2016 HSE that has almost all the options I am looking for but with the smaller 18" wheels:
http://www.landrovercerritos.com/new...a0857f72a4.htm

The dealer for the 2015 isn't budging much even though it's a year older model. The dealer for the 2016 is already handing out a $2000 discount on a just arrived model.

Test driving the 2016 today and the 2015 on the weekend.
So I don't know which way to go yet....
post #7 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention, for those dealers' MY2016/2015 in-stock units, most of them are 5-seat configuration. It is extremely hard to get a 5+2 7-seat unit. People try to grab them as soon as they come in. If you go to the link I sent you earlier, you can play with each dealer's inventory, copy the VIN, enter the VIN into VIN decoder is the best online tool to check vin number | VinDecoderz.com, and you will see probably less than 10% is 7-seat.

When I saw that 7-seat HSE came in the first week, I told my dealer I wanted it.
Funny - just what I was looking for - 5+2 - there are lots here in Southern California. Guess the Bay Area are more in demand for 5+2 cars ?

Most LA and OC dealers have a couple of the 5+2 seat optioned on the lot.

The most selection of 3 row seating is at San Diego Land Rover - they have about 18 DS on hand!

I am getting the 5+2 to replace out my Honda Pilot which is the family vehicle but I mistakenly got the 2WD version which is a pain when I go skiing.

Once I get the DS, I will have 2 AWD ski ready cars - the BMW being the 5 passenger seating and the DS with 5+2.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Awesome olezay!

Yes, that helped tremendously!

Now I get a better picture of the 2015 vs 2016 as well as the HSE & Lux differences.

Thank you because my head was spinning trying to look at both 2015 and 2016 Discovery Sports in both trim levels (2x2 options)...

Coming from BMW, I have a better handle on the Land Rover series.

I am looking at 2 cars right now -

A 2015 fairly well loaded HSE Lux with 20 wheels:
New 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport For Sale | Redondo Beach CA

And then I am also looking at a 2016 HSE that has almost all the options I am looking for but with the smaller 18" wheels:
New 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport For Sale | Cerritos CA | VIN: SALCR2BG3GH556431

The dealer for the 2015 isn't budging much even though it's a year older model. The dealer for the 2016 is already handing out a $2000 discount on a just arrived model.

Test driving the 2016 today and the 2015 on the weekend.
So I don't know which way to go yet....
$2000 discount for 2016? If it is a 5+2 and HSE, and if I were you, I would get it. Now I feel so sad that I paid too much...

For the 2015 Lux you looked at ($55,043), I configured it with the same options on Edmunds.com, the MSRP is $52,215. Is that dealer selling more than the MSRP? Same thing for the 2016 HSE, the MSRP should be $46,300. If I were you, I would double-check the window sticker and make sure that is the correct price. In Bay Area, the most dealers are asking is MSRP, which is inline with almost every online car site's configurator. I did get some discount due to the 2015 model.

Indeed, I am surprised that Southern CA has more 5+2 seaters. In the Bay Area, people almost fist fight for it (just kidding), I guess too many babies? too many relatives come from overseas to visit?

Last edited by olezay; 10-21-2015 at 07:18 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-21-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I just test drove the 2016 HSE 5+2 3rd row + Driver Assist +, Climate Comfort + Audio upgrade.
Their web listing does not show all the options. The Monroney window sticker shows it all and confirmed $48,495.
Very nice dealership - met their GM and SM as well.

And yes, $2K off a 2016 that just arrived - this dealer is big chain franchise.
The only thing that bothered me was the 18" wheels. It made the car look smaller... Maybe it's an optical illusion like a mirage ???

As for the 2015 HSE Lux, not much bargaining probably due to the wealthy location they are in. I do like the 19" wheels. Will take a look this weekend and report back.

There is a third dealer in San Diego that seems to have more 5+2 inventory than anyone else.
I might have take a 2 hour drive if the San Diego store will match the discount locally...

Thanks for your input and tips !
post #10 of 17 Old 10-22-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I just test drove the 2016 HSE 5+2 3rd row + Driver Assist +, Climate Comfort + Audio upgrade.
Their web listing does not show all the options. The Monroney window sticker shows it all and confirmed $48,495.
Very nice dealership - met their GM and SM as well.

And yes, $2K off a 2016 that just arrived - this dealer is big chain franchise.
The only thing that bothered me was the 18" wheels. It made the car look smaller... Maybe it's an optical illusion like a mirage ???

As for the 2015 HSE Lux, not much bargaining probably due to the wealthy location they are in. I do like the 19" wheels. Will take a look this weekend and report back.

There is a third dealer in San Diego that seems to have more 5+2 inventory than anyone else.
I might have take a 2 hour drive if the San Diego store will match the discount locally...

Thanks for your input and tips !
You are correct! 18" wheels do make DS look smaller, and that was one of the reasons I decided to cancel my 2016 HSE order and took the 2015 HSE (with 19" wheels). It's all about the stance. DS looks very handsome with bigger tires. I personally can vouch for that!

It is good that you got the MSRP check out okay. It is very closed to my DS' MSRP, although the options are slightly different.

Good luck to you for the next test drive! Hopefully you will be able to make a clear decision after driving two different DS's.

Last edited by olezay; 10-22-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page