User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The B Pillar Rattle is real

My new car that I just picked up mid January has been been rattling on both B pillars. Service acknowledged the problem immediately and said Land Rover is aware of the problem and there is a fix. The fix involves welding. The fix can only be done at a body shop. The body shop here estimates 7-10 to get it fixed.

So this is a real problem. Check if your Discovery for this problem and if you have this problem, you can bring it in to Land Rover to get it fixed.

I got an Evoque as a loaner and in my opinion, it doesn't come close to the comfort of the Discovery. The Discovery has much more room inside. The Evoque feels a little quicker on the start and I"m pretty sure that is because its a lighter car.
post #2 of 32 Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
My new car that I just picked up mid January has been been rattling on both B pillars. Service acknowledged the problem immediately and said Land Rover is aware of the problem and there is a fix. The fix involves welding. The fix can only be done at a body shop. The body shop here estimates 7-10 to get it fixed.

So this is a real problem. Check if your Discovery for this problem and if you have this problem, you can bring it in to Land Rover to get it fixed.

I got an Evoque as a loaner and in my opinion, it doesn't come close to the comfort of the Discovery. The Discovery has much more room inside. The Evoque feels a little quicker on the start and I"m pretty sure that is because its a lighter car.
Mine has been at the shop since last Thurs for this same thing (so I'm on day 8). I also got an Evoque for a loaner and it makes me appreciate my DS that much more. Sad that we have to deal with this on a brand new car that's now been manufactured for a year, but the service reps have truly been fantastic and I'm hopeful all is well after this.

One concern I have is on the safety of the car, given that the welds joining the body to roof are set in very precise ways in the design of the vehicle to distribute load in an impact.

Jeff

2016 Discovery Sport HSE Lux 5+2
Loire Blue / Tan Windsor
post #3 of 32 Old 02-12-2016, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc View Post
One concern I have is on the safety of the car, given that the welds joining the body to roof are set in very precise ways in the design of the vehicle to distribute load in an impact.
Modeling and analysis of a composite B-Pillar for side-impact protection of occupants in a sedan

post #4 of 32 Old 02-27-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The B Pillar fix is real! I just wanted to give an update... so I got the car back after 7 working days and there is no more rattles in both B pillars. The car has been put together well and everything is good. If your car has the rattle, rest assure it can be fixed.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-28-2016, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thought I should chime in. I also had rattling in the driver side B pillar a few months ago. They also applied the fix which was to re-weld all the weld spots on the front top roof area and above the b pillar. The noise did go away for a few weeks then it came back slowly at first. It wasn't as loud as before but then it got a bit louder and more frequent. So I brought it in for service again. This time, it's been 2 weeks and counting at the dealership. Everytime, they thought they fixed it. I went in for a test drive with one of their techs. And both times, the techs heard the noise again. I hope others are having better luck than me. It's been pretty frustrating having picked up the car in early Dec and the car has been in the shop for a total of 4+ weeks. It's only been 3 months since I've had it. Ugh!
post #6 of 32 Old 02-29-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee0401 View Post
Thought I should chime in. I also had rattling in the driver side B pillar a few months ago. They also applied the fix which was to re-weld all the weld spots on the front top roof area and above the b pillar. The noise did go away for a few weeks then it came back slowly at first. It wasn't as loud as before but then it got a bit louder and more frequent. So I brought it in for service again. This time, it's been 2 weeks and counting at the dealership. Everytime, they thought they fixed it. I went in for a test drive with one of their techs. And both times, the techs heard the noise again. I hope others are having better luck than me. It's been pretty frustrating having picked up the car in early Dec and the car has been in the shop for a total of 4+ weeks. It's only been 3 months since I've had it. Ugh!
You are not alone. If you read my posts in this and UK's forums, you will find I am one of the first few people who got the B-pillar rattle fixed, and probably the first one who had to get it fixed twice.

With this and many other issues, my DS had been in the service for 40 days during my first 4 months of ownership. Even the date when JLR took my DS back, there were still other rattles.

Last edited by olezay; 02-29-2016 at 01:01 AM.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezay View Post
You are not alone. If you read my posts in this and UK's forums, you will find I am one of the first few people who got the B-pillar rattle fixed, and probably the first one who had to get it fixed twice.

With this and many other issues, my DS had been in the service for 40 days during my first 4 months of ownership. Even the date when JLR took my DS back, there were still other rattles.
Did JLR take the vehicle back as a buy back or lemon ?

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-29-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Did JLR take the vehicle back as a buy back or lemon ?
It was a buy-back pursuant to Lemon Law, so I am not sure which term you were referring to.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezay View Post
It was a buy-back pursuant to Lemon Law, so I am not sure which term you were referring to.
Yes Lemon Law - we have that here in California.

Question:
Did JLR give you a very appealing deal to get you into another ?
Any extras thrown in ?
How about the costs - you versus JLR.

pat

2016 DS HSE - 5+2 3rd Row, Climate Comfort, Driver Assistance +, Audio Upgrade, Gloss Black Roof Rails
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-29-2016, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My one started to make some obvious ticking noise, and I believe this is the B-pillar ticking noise. The source seems to be something plastic. I thought it was related to rear seat belt buckles or something. Two questions.

1) Is the B-pillar noise ticking or rattling? I am not sure the recent noise from my car is the same one or not. FYI, I already fixed squeaking noise from tailgate and chirping noise from rear seats.
2) Is there anyone who fixed it perfectly? I saw a lot of posting from those who had to end up making multiple services.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Discovery Sport Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page